Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dyeing Failure

So I spent the day turning balls of yarn into skeins so I could dye it, and tonight I was ready. I set my yarn to soaking, mixed my dyes, got all my supplies together and proceeded to paint the six skeins I wanted to play with. My colors were rich fall colors, and I was eagerly anticipating the gorgeous yarns that would result.

Nope. Not at all the deep rich colors I was looking for. Instead of a rich vermilion, I got a pinkish red. Instead of a russet, I got an orangish red. Instead of a deep burnt orange, I got a run-of-the-mill orange. And the gold ochre was a pale gold.

On top of that, the sport weight skeins (two of the six) burned. I don't know if I can salvage anything, but I'm not betting on it. And I was going to knit myself mittens with those!

Now don't get me wrong -- the yarns are really pretty. They're just not the colors I want to get. And they aren't colors I'll wear.

I'm going to try dyeing the four skeins that didn't burn again, this time with stronger dyes. Hopefully, that will do the job!

No comments: